Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Kaikoura to Wellington

I left beautiful Kaikoura early in the morning and drove along the coast north to Blenheim to catch another small plane, (about 20 seats) across the channel to the North Island. The countryside changed from dramatic coast to hills and winding roads, sometimes 180 degree turns to farm country and then to vineyards. The Marlborough Blenheim area is famous for their wines. The airport had one gate and no security. When I went to return the key, there was no one at the Budget rental desk. The girl at the cafe said just pick up the phone as they are having morning tea. I rang and she told me to put the keys in the slot and leave the GPS on the counter! I am definitely not in the US anymore! I flew into the small airport of Wellington, met by Raewyn Tan from Wellington Tourism (www.wellingtonnz.com). We were dropped off on Cuba Street, an artsy part of town for lunch and a famous New Zealand coffee. The city was invigorating. I am told it has the most restaurants and cafes per capita of any other city in the world. I went on a tour of the city with guide Nathan to get the history and orientation of this beautiful city on the Tasman Sea (www.wellingtonrover.co.nz). We went straight to Mt. Victoria to get a panoramic view. The city has hills and earthquakes like San Francisco and many of the older houses in Newtown (the oldest part of the city!) remind me of there. We drove by the Weta studio (home to the amazing animations and model making of movies like "Lord of The Rings"and Island Bay. I am now off to dinner with my aunt from Vermont's friend's daughter who is studying to be a veterinarian here in NZ.